Speech and language therapists are constantly striving to improve traditional therapy approaches, but so far they have not been able to develop an instrument that can be used by patients at home to maintain the session’s improvements. Can technology fill this gap, track how we speak and give us objective feedback on whether our speech is improving or not?
This is what inspired BeneTalk: creating a digital coach and speech habit tracker to transform the lives of people who stutter.
BeneTalk: Digital Coach and Tracker for Speech Therapy
BeneTalk is an ‘invisible’ biofeedback device and mobile app that monitors breathing and speech patterns, and provides real-time feedback and performance history tracking, assisting people who stutter during daily activities.
Some of the benefits of BeneTalk are:
- Personalized therapy and real-time (haptic, audio and visual) feedback by monitoring breathing and phonation.
- Out-of-the-clinic practice during everyday conversations, even in noisy environments (Fitbit for speech).
- Continuous maintenance & preventive therapy reinforcement helps the user not to re-encounter difficulties.
- Wearable, not visible to others so it can be used in challenging speaking situations.
- Objective performance history & nudges by a buddy bot to improve confidence & give emotional support.
BeneTalk is planning to carry out a clinical study with adults who stutter at the University of Reading in January 2020.
Wearable technology like the Fitbit helps us to be aware of our movement to reinforce new habits. In the same way, the study that will be carried out at the University of Reading will help to understand the benefits of being more aware of our speaking patterns to build new habits and reduce anxiety.
If you are interested in joining our clinical study, send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.